Majority of us are lovers of Tomatoes 🍅, be it a Hot Tomato Soup or Tomato Curry, Pizza Sauce, we love it. It’s really good that a very common ingredient of our recipes and daily food items has a lot of benefits for skin and hair too. Tomato for skin is a Boon.
Let’s look at the nutrients list of Red and cute tomatoes 🍅.
- Vitamin-B – 1,3,5,6,9,
- A wonderful Carotenoid called Lycopene.
Benefits of Tomato for skin :
Tomato can help well in skin issues like,
- Sunburns or tan: The lycopene in tomato, is photo protective in nature. It may not replace sunscreen lotions, But definitely support in protecting the skin from Sun.
- Dead skin: Tomato is well known as an exfoliating substance. Tomato along with the sugar is rubbed on the skin as a scrub.
- Ageing: As it has Vitamin-B which is important for skin health and Vitamin-C, which promotes production of collagen, It helps in removing and prevention of wrinkles, fine lines etc.
- Inflammation: Inflammation is the process behind acne as you all know. Tomato has an effective anti inflammatory action.
- Skin cancer: Free radicals in the skin cause damage and lead to “Basal Cell or squamous cell carcinoma(Skin Cancer)”. The lycopene and Vitamin-C can
greatly fight against them.
- Wounds: Being a rich source of Vitamin-C, Tomato is also good at promoting the wound healing process.
Let’s know how to use Tomato:
Tomato does more favour to the skin and hair when taken inside, rather to apply it on skin or hair. Internally it does wonders.
- You can make a simple juice out of it and add pepper and salt to taste.
- You can add it in your recipes by making into a puree. Or
- You can have it directly.
How to use Tomato for skin:
- Cut a tomato into two halves and rub onto skin simply, wait and wash it.
- Mix the tomato juice or pulp with Curd or Cucumber or Aloe vera or Avocado or Gram flour.
Choose the second ingredient based on your skin type.
- Oily skin likes tomato with Gram flour, Aloe vera and turmeric too.
- Dry skin likes it with, curd or avocado.
- Half cut tomato with sugar on it, which can be used as a natural scrub.
- Apply tomato juice on the hair which makes it glossy, due to it’s acidic nature.
Other uses of Tomato include :
- Reducing the risk of Heart Diseases or Stroke, as they deal with blood clots and Cholesterol.
- Supporting for a good Digestion.
- Easing the Menopausal issues.
- An out dated tomato ketchup can be used as a vessel cleaning agent.
- If you are allergic to tomatoes, then test it on skin before using.
- Processed tomato juice products, contain high amounts of sodium and sugar. Opt for the homemade juice.